About Me

My photo
Every day I fight Lupus, and it doesn't get easier. . . but giving up is not an option. Most days I smile through the pain because I refuse to allow Lupus to limit or define me . I absolutely ENJOY dancing in the rain and singing in my shower (even though I can do neither very well!. . . but hey , life is just for livin) Here's my motto: LAUGH SO HARD THAT EVEN SORROW SMILES AT YOU . . . LIVE SO WELL THAT EVEN DEATH LOVES TO SEE YOU LIVE :)

Sunday 21 August 2011

Mission Healthy ALPHA

I have certain defining characteristics. From the list, I will draw on the ones given the highest prestige: I am a Christian, a lady, a Lupie, a daughter, a sister, a loved one, a friend and I am an Alpharian. This last title, and one I wear most proudly, comes from the fact that for all my life, a little place on South Camp Road in Kingston, Jamaica, called ALPHA, has been my second home. My source of education came firstly from Alpha Infant, then Alpha Primary, followed by the Convent of Mercy Academy “Alpha”, otherwise known as Alpha Academy. Thus, it has been written in stone: I am an Alpharian.

Alpha was founded by the Sisters of Mercy on May 1, 1880, and since then, has taken on the huge responsibility of not only offering education to the younger population, but also, that of converting little girls into young ladies. I am not just bragging and boating about this noble institution because I absolutely love and miss this place (well, not totally) but also because some of the products of this factory has seen it fit to extend their hands of kindness and do what Alpha taught them best: to give back.

The Florida chapter of the Alpha Alumni (Past Students’ Association), for two years now, has made the dream of an annual health fair, a welcomed reality: Mission Healthy “Alpha”. This was hosted on the Alpha Academy campus. The students and teachers were given the opportunity to check their blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol levels along with height, weight and sight. Additionally due to the fact the Alpha is single sex school (only females), students and staff were given “We Care Packs”, containing all the necessary items a female should always have, such as sanitary napkins, dental floss and deodorant, just to name a few.

The event was aimed at spreading health awareness in many different areas such as dental protection, balanced diet, healthy bones, acne, breast cancer and most surprisingly, Lupus. While a very pleasant one, it came as a surprise because Lupus awareness is not common in Jamaica. While organizations and individuals are trying, the level of ignorance as it relates to Lupus is quite alarming. In a country with such a high risk of getting Lupus and with so many affected, so many still do not have a clue what it is. If I had any doubts about that, this health fair wiped them all away.

I volunteered be the informant on Lupus and was thus stationed at the Lupus tent. Those two days will never be forgotten.

As the crowd of students left their classes, grade by grade, the area selected to host the health fair came alive with little ladies in their blue and white uniforms. As each group approached the Lupus tent, books were issued out and students and teachers were advised that it was important that those books be read. I then asked if they knew what Lupus was. Many said they had no clue. The few that did said it was “a skin disease” or “some form of cancer”. The most common response was “I have heard of it. I knew someone with it but they died.”

Even after explaining that the risk factor is particularly high because they are females, the majority is of African descent and they are in their childbearing years, Lupus was not of much interest to them. Even after informing them that many persons in Jamaica are affected, some were still apathetic and one girl even admitted that she did not care much to learn what it was. It was then that I had to do the Official Lupie Duty and do what I was previously terrified of doing. “Lupus is far-fetched idea… I have Lupus”. Response: Shocked expression… “You do?!... What did you say it was again?”

Telling a crowd of people (non-Lupies) that I have Lupus was not an easy task. The first time was the hardest, but every time that followed was a little easier than the one before. Maybe it was as a result of my being an Alpharian and being known by most of them or maybe it was because an issue that remained just a message in the wind was standing before them in reality, but after my confession, the level of interest rose dramatically. They began asking questions about treatment, if it can be cured and symptoms, even before I reached the point of explaining those to them. The questions even became more personal, in that I was asked how I cope, how I felt when I was diagnosed, my age at diagnosis and so on. I had no reservations and it was an absolute joy to respond.

“Rewarding” is too much of an understatement for the overwhelming feeling which follows spreading lupus awareness. However, my most memorable moments were those spent bonding with fellow Lupies. There was this particular lady who was waging a war on her body (Jqi). As a Lupie, one can see when another Lupie is not so well and internally fighting. This lady came to the point where she almost fainted but when offered a seat by a number of worried past Alparians, she took a couple of deep breaths, smiled and replied, “I’m fine”. I smiled too. I have done that a million times.

The Florida Chapter of the Alpha Alumni should be awarded for the wonderful way in which they have decided to give back to their alma mater. On the topic of giving back, many would focus solely on monetary contributions or those aimed at repairing the physical buildings. However, this way of giving back is one that has tremendous benefits and one that covers an extremely important but often ignored area: health awareness.

Alpha has been the source of my education but the most important lesson it has taught me is that giving back is the only way to ensure that someone else moves forward.

Shoyea-Gaye Grant ©
Jamaica,
West Indies.

Visit Shoyea-Gaye's 'Lupus Butterflies Jamaica' on Facebook



First published in The Lupus Magazine by Dirty Dog Media + Publishing

No comments:

Post a Comment